September 11, 2010

Erratum etc.

I realized the other day that I had incorrectly advised the size of Apo Island as being 72 km.  This is entirely false; I was mixing up my facts.  The island of Siquijor is 72 km to circumnavigate. Apo Island is only 1.5 km north to south and 1 km east to west.  At it’s highest point, it rises to about 400 ft above sea level.  My apologies for the misinformation!
I also would like to take the time to say thank-you to everyone who is reading the blog and for all the kind words of encouragement!  This is my first foray into the “blogosphere”.  I certainly feel a responsibility to deliver interesting, honest & accurate content on what we’re doing, where we’re going and what we’re seeing.  We both love to read the comments section - keep them coming!  We wish we could acknowledge them all.  By the way, Picasa is now completely up to date so have a look at the rest of our photos of Apo Island and the Malatapay Market, plus some new pictures of Kota Kinabalu.

We’re now in the city of Kota Kinabalu.  It's located in Sabah, a province of Malaysian Borneo.  The immigration officials granted us a 90 day “upon arrival” visa.  When the plane landed in Kota Kinabalu, cool-ish rain was coming down in sheets and it was already dark.  We had no umbrella, as it had been confiscated in the airport (I’d forgotten that umbrellas weren’t permitted in carry-on luggage).  Luckily we weren’t in the downpour for too long; a quick taxi ride and we were at our hostel, “Borneo Backpackers”.  This is the first true hostel we’ve stayed at; shared bathroom, communal sitting area with a tv and small library, a kitchen with complimentary breakfast (coffee or tea and a maximum of 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter or jam).  We do have our own room, and it‘s nice to have the privacy.
Kota Kinabalu Wetland Centre

We've never seen a mangrove forest until today.  We visited the Kota Kinabalu Wetland Centre and strolled down their 1.5 km boardwalk.  Mangrove jungles are sort of a transition between land and ocean, and one of the functions they serve is to prevent salt from building up in local fresh water supplies.  The wetland is also a nesting & feeding ground for resident and migratory birds.  Muddy and swampy, the tangled web of mangrove roots are teeming with life, in particular, crabs.
little egret

We caught glimpses of some beautiful birds flying high in the tree canopy, such as the magpie-robin and the cinnamon bittern.  Our little point and click camera doesn’t have quite enough zoom for most of the sightings.  At times like this, it makes us wish we'd brought along our powerful Canon Rebel XT, but it just wasn't practical. We did manage to capture a photo of the little egret, stepping gingerly along the shore.  Amidst the birdsong, there were some other-worldly sounds - dripping noises almost like a leaky tap.  There was occasional popping or snapping, as if someone was chewing bubble gum, and a steady hum of cicadas.  Gauzy winged butterflies flitted by; so impressive in this part of the world compared to our plain moth-like creatures.  Aside from crabs & avian life, we saw monitor lizards, water snakes, mudskippers.... and a rat, just sitting on the roof of one of the sun shelters along the boardwalk.

This was the second rat I’ve seen.  The first rat I saw was poking it’s head out of a storm sewer, and Aron merely said “there’s your first rat”.  It was sort of anti-climactic just as it was when I encountered the cockroaches.  A couple long antennae were wiggling out of a garbage can in an outdoor mall in Hong Kong.  When the insects finally emerged, I asked Aron what they were; I expected cockroaches to be much larger, black and tank-like in body shape.  No doubt about it, they were still revolting, but I was (oddly) a little relieved to get that experience out of the way and the same thing goes for the rats.

10 comments:

  1. Hi reality has struck - roaches and rats and mosquito nets - when we do not see them they are no worry and when we can do nothing to change their being close at hand we accept the way of the locals and we don't see them, other than as a small nuisance. May all the nuisance we encounter be small, and a joy to behold in the midst of the diversity of the unfathomable creation waiting for us to encounter. Your words and pic's are so enjoyed by us all. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your description of the mangrove forest really brings the experience to life for the rest of us. Thanks for not going too much into detail over the rat and the cockroaches! LOL Keep up the great descriptions - I want to hear all about the food too! Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, I just checked out your pictures - they're fantastic, and I'm extremely jealous over the proximity of the ocean to your cabin! ;) The warning about the durian is hilarious - just don't ever go and grab one. I did that yesterday and it felt like I'd grabbed a bed of nails!! Apo island looks particularily beautiful - it's definitely on my list if I ever make it to the Phillipines. Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the pictures and the details in your blogs. how relaxing to have an ocean to lull you to sleep at night- we're so jealous. i wish that i was there eating all those interesting, peculiar foods....just joking!!! just lead me to the tacos and i'll be happy. daddy-o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, mangrove trees are so cool! I love how the roots just sit above the water. It must've been quite the experience to see a whole forest of them!
    It's weird how the cockroaches are smaller than you had first thought...maybe the bigger ones are all in South America, lol XD
    I really want a pet gecko now...! Actually, I've kind of always wanted one...or a hedgehog....either one would be really cute to have =3
    (It's weird how even though I have a yahoo account, I can only post this comment as anonymous...=/)

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog, I love your writing Sue you do such a great job. Very interesting. I will tell you though the rats can get to the size of small dogs and the cockroaches can get very big as well. I was shocked when I saw some of them.Luckily they don't really want to be near you. There is lots of better stuff they like. Great pics to.
    What a great spot to be staying. I may have to go there sometime.Thanks for keeping in touch.

    Love. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pics from your hotel. Why no pictures of the rats and cockroaches? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To err is human ... you know the rest!

    would really enjoy seeing pics of those butterflies - what other indigenous species are found in this part of the world? i'd unfailingly be making nightly use of their mosquito netting around my bed; i'm sure it helps ward off more than your run-of-the-mill mosquito.
    Speaking of mosquitoes, remember the saying: "If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room!!!" (your smile and impact in our lives is sorely missed)
    all our love, mom & dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apo island. Now THAT looks like a sweet place. Wake up and look out the window and your greeted with a view of all views. I think I'll chime in here and put in another request for an underwater camera. Have you picked any of the local language phrases yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the picture with the durian comment. It was ironic because I was just asked by my younger daughter, Rebecca, what the strange thing was in the basket of another shopper at the grocery store earlier in the day! I told her what it was but had no other information as I have never tasted one. Apparently the smell is not as bad once they get to our stores here in Canada but the taste is supposed to be very sweet like vanilla pudding and the texture is considered silky. I would like to give it a try sometime but they say you have to be able to get past the smell! It must be pretty bad to be banned from hotels! LOL.

    ReplyDelete