July 13, 2010

My bangs are in my eyes

"Be more adventuresome and try a new look"  the fortune cookie counselled me.  Rather apt, given our circumstances!   This prophetic exhortation served to bolster my resolve.  I'll soon be trading the business wear for khakis; swapping a purse for a backpack.  Oh, and did I mention I'm growing out my hair....


Some years ago, on our Cuban honeymoon, my hair went crazy.  Yup, my poker-straight hair was a tangled mass.  I remember being utterly shocked that I had serious frizz thanks to the high humidity.  So I think this is the right decision, since we'll be travelling to coastal, humid places.  I love my short 'do but I've realized I better stop maintaining the pixie cut or else I won't have long enough hair to tie it back with elastics or scarves.  In the meantime, I'll have to stock up on bobby pins & clips. And cultivate patience through the awkward stage as my hair takes it sweet time to grow out.  
The second part of my transformation is my wardrobe.  Obviously, we're both keeping it pretty minimal.  For my part, I will be travelling with 1 pair of capri pants, 2 skirts, about 4 tops & 1 dress.  I will have two pairs of footwear to choose from: hiker-style shoes & sandals.  I had planned on a "cute" pair of shoes (what if we're going out somewhere nice for dinner?) but in reading travel blogs the authors invariably regretted bringing such shoes and simply gave them away after toting them around for weeks.

As for the fortune-cookie prompt to "be more adventuresome", I would think resigning from one's job to travel the world is a good start! 

Looks like this is shaping up to be a reinvention of sorts.

Never underestimate the prescience of a fortune cookie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment